Wednesday, 23 May 2012

The Meaning Behind the Name

Maybe you've given some thought to the name of my blog. Maybe it makes sense to you and you get that there's a deeper meaning there, or maybe you've been so distracted by the simple, yet oh so elegant, blog design I chose from the wide variety of Blogger templates (Love those stripes, Mom!) that you haven't thought twice about the meaning behind...

More Than Words.

No, I did not come up with the name while listening to the ever popular ballad from the '90s (hear it here). Nor did I come up with it while reminiscing about a place in time when two clueless, newbie parents were sent to an early language intervention program in hopes that it would help them deal with their non-verbal, 2 1/2 year old son (the name of that program was, by the way, More than Words and yes, my *DH and I were the clueless, newbie parents).

For some fluky reason, when I finally decided to start this blog, More Than Words popped into my head and I knew that was it - that was the name I wanted for my blog.

I must admit, I didn't really give much thought to the deeper meaning until recently. Here's what I came up with...

Carter's Words and his unique way of expressing them will be largely what I write about here. However, Carter is More than a boy who expresses his Words in an alternative way. His lack of speech is just one small part of who he is. It does not define him. He is More Than Words. So much More.

To me, this blog is about More Than putting Words on a page. It's about remembering and recording all that is important to me. It's about sharing. It's about connecting with others. And it's about crafting my Words into something interesting, compelling, moving, creative, memorable.

I have been admiring the writing and the content on several blogs for some time now. I hope that I can emulate my favourite bloggers by sharing my experiences, building connections and supporting others who relate to what I write about.

In the meantime, I'd like to send Words of thanks to my family and close friends for being my start-up audience. Your support means More to me Than you'll probably ever realize.

*DH = darling husband (for those unfamiliar with internet acronyms)

2 comments:

  1. Raquel Huisman10 June 2012 at 20:07

    Oh Stacey, you brought tears to my eyes. You are such a wonderful Mom. I wish we were closer so we could know Carter (and all of the kids) better. Thanks for sharing your blog with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raquel, sorry about the tears - that happens when we moms relate to one another, doesn't it? Hazard of the job, I guess :-) Thanks for your comment. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete