Friday, 1 June 2012

The R-Word

The R-word keeps rearing it's ugly head in the media and in society in general. When I read headlines like this one:

Margaret Cho: 'I don't want a retard' baby


I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm grateful that I'm not alone in my sick feeling. But that doesn't make the thoughtless, cruel use of the R-word any better.

Some day I will write my own post about my feelings about the R-word. For now, thank you Phoebe, Ellen and Louise for your blog posts on this subject. I wish more people would take the time to read your insightful words. 

Being Retarded

Would you call my child a retard?

The R-word: It's a hateful slur that's got to go

These blog post are worth taking the time to read so if you don't have time now...come back when you do. They'll be here waiting for you. 

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely NOT alone on this one. I know there was a comedian a few weeks ago making jokes about autism as well. I swear they do this for the headlines... is it like negative attention - it's better than nothing? So sad that society just doesn't get it in regards to this - hopefully one day they will. Thanks for sharing these articles!

    ReplyDelete