#8 Night Walkin' not Sleep Talkin'


I came across a unique and quirky blog that covers the topic I had chosen to write about for today's blog post. The blog is called Sleep Talkin' Man; my blog post topic: sleep talking.

The point I was going to make in this post was that when you can't talk, you don't talk in your sleep. Carter makes up for that by walking instead of talking. He's not actually sleep walking. He wakes up in the middle of the night and strolls around checking on everyone (mostly me).

After reading a few posts on the Sleep Talkin' Man blog, I'm thinking about setting Carter's talker on his bedside table and installing a hidden camera just to see what comes of it. Maybe there's more to this night walking business then I'm aware of.

If Carter were to grab his talker and say something like, "Zombie rugby could be a lot better, but they keep passing their arms.", or, "Elephants in thongs are not something you see everyday. Enjoy it.", and if I were to blog about it, I'd still have no explanation as to why he wanders around in the dead of night, but my blog would get a lot more followers. I know this because it's (sort of) been done already. The zombie, elephant statements are some examples of nighttime revelations made by the Sleep Talkin' Man

Every night Sleep Talkin' Man's wife, Karen, takes a voice activated digital recorder to bed with her. Then every morning she posts the audio of her husband's nightly outbursts on her blog. The blog has been around since 2009 and her simple idea has lead to a huge following, and a book, and several talk show appearances.

I'm not optimistic that blogging about the exact opposite of Sleep Talkin' Man's content (not being able to talk, let alone talk in your sleep) will mean that I see the same results Karen Slavick-Lennard did, but a girl can dream (if she can catch enough zzzs when not being woken by her non-sleep-talker-night-walker son, that is).

Not being able to talk means no sleep-talking, but there's more than one way to disrupt a sleeping household.

What have you heard through the night lately?



Disclaimer: Views in the Not Being Able to Speak series are derived from my personal experience with Carter. I do not speak on behalf of others with complex communication needs. It is not my intent to minimize or disregard the power of expression that can be found through the use of augmentative and alternative forms of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment