I Interrupt My Regular Programming to Say...





It's Volunteer Appreciation Week!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine any of you are getting paid to be here. So, since you're here voluntarily, I'd like to take a moment to appreciate you and to say thank you - with a lovely Thank You spelled out in french fries, no less. Yes, french fries! (I'll wait here while you take a second look...See? They're french fries).

Some of you joined me long before I started writing my new series. Some of you have come on board since. Whatever it is that brought you, and for however long you've been here, I'm grateful to you; my readers.

It's been a month since I wrote my post about being inspired to do things a bit differently here. I committed myself to writing 122 blog posts in this, my second year of writing at More Than Words. That means I've been posting every third day and I'm not going to lie, it's been a challenge.

I started my first six blog posts with a standard line: Not being able to talk means... and then I completed the sentence, wrote a few paragraphs and ended each post with a quote by writer, Cynthia Ozick: We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.

Communication is essential to our daily functioning. It provides a means for making connections with others. The ability to speak affords us many privileges. It's a function that I feel blessed to have and one that I place great value on. My mindful appreciation is a direct result of the experiences I've had through raising Carter.

It took me a while to come around to the fact that I can spread my message without it being dominated by a negative introduction. While the information I want to share is of a serious matter, it's not always negative. My hope is that some of it may even bring a smile. As the great Bill Cosby once said, 'You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humour in anything...you can survive it.' So, the Not being able to talk bit can stay as a title for this series, but it's been axed from my blog post titles. I went back and created meaningful titles for my first six posts and I carried on doing so with the posts that followed.

As I enter my second month with my new series, I am up to post #12. Eleven more months and 110 more blog posts to go! I've brainstormed a list of ideas for future posts, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for bearing with me as I figure out the finer points of how best to present my Not being able to talk series, and thanks again for joining me (and Carter) on this journey.



Photo credit: Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment